Monday, December 20, 2010

Just in the (St.) Nick of Time....

So much for getting a head start on my Christmas cards!  I got them in the mail on Friday just in the nick of time.  I actually bought everything I needed by Halloween with the best of intentions to have them all finished by December 1, but....well....that didn't work out.  I am pretty sure I was busy doing something good in the world because nothing else would have kept me from making my cards.

The idea was to keep them simple since I was making 70 of them.  But, what I learned is that no matter how simple you think they are, 70 of anything is a lot of work.  I also learned that no matter how quickly you cut everything, assembly takes twice as long as you think it will...but I will spare you from my nuggests craft-tastic wisdom and get on with it.

I designed the card in PSE and printed them out with a color printer.  I didn't have anything specific inspiring me other than I wanted them to be simple and clean.


I cut everything to size and rounded the corners. I used my Silhouette to cut out tags and then stamped each one.  I then took a break in the assembly and addressed the envelopes.  In the interest of time, I drew in the calligraphy instead of using ink and a nib.  I just never had the time to make it to the art supply store for red ink. 


My copperplate calligraphy instructor used to give customers a cheaper option to use a gel pen rather than traditional calligraphy ink.  This was an excellent option when a customer wanted the look of copperplate, but didn't want to pay the price for the real thing.  When using a nib, it is all about the pressure you apply with each stroke while rolling your wrists, so it takes a lot time and it takes a lot out of your hands.  I decided I would draw it in since I'd procrastinated enough that these were looking like they were going to be 2011 cards and not 2010 cards. Talk about pressure!


I've blogged before about how I am obsessed with Betsy Dunlap's work.  I kind of wanted to evoke the same drama that she does so well on her envelopes.  I know there is no comparison, but I really like the way they turned out.  Above is one of the ones I am most proud of.  It helps that their last name is pretty cool, too. 

After the addressing was done, the assembly began.  I wrapped the white cardstock with bakers twine and added the tags. I used pop up dots to attach the (gorgeous) white cardstock onto the card.  That is pretty much it! 


Just for grins, below is a close up.   


I am kind of obsessed with that embossed paper.  

That's all I got for now.  Mr. Bean and I are up late trying to see what we can of the lunar eclipse.  Unfortunately, it is too cloudy to see anything, but every once in a while there is a break in the clouds where you can see the moon.  And it is kind of amazing.

I am not sure I will have a chance to post again before Christmas, so Merry Christmas!!  I hope everyone gets everything they want and more.  :)  

2 comments:

Allison said...

They turned out great!!! I love the calligraphy, and would never have guessed you used a shortcut. :)

pintobean said...

Thanks! I think the pictures make them look better than in person, but I will take the compliment. ;)